A 2.0 is Not Going to Kill You But It Will Try – Jan Lehnardt
This talks looks alt the five-year development of Apache CouchDB 2.0 and looks at the major challenges of shipping a major version.
In a classic five act setup, this talk will explore the lessons learned the hard way from shipping CouchDB 2.0:
1. Community struggle: the inventor abandons the project. A toxic person is ejected from the community.
2. Trademark disputes: the ASF level playing field for corporations is defended by fierce battles.
3. Feature Deprecation: how to convince a part of your community that it is better to let go than to hold on to a specific feature set.
4. The trade-offs of shipping: release less now, release more later.
5. Inclusivity and diversity: losing people over culture burn-out .